Thursday, April 10, 2008

3. Pfefferminz (Peppermint)


First and foremost, I haven't been a fan of peppermint for most of my life. To me it had always been a flavour associated with cardboard-looking chewing gum, breath mints and throat lozenges.

Oh what a complicated affair I have had with throat lozenges. I would see all this "candy" that supposedly tasted of lemon, cherry, or grape, grab them with GLEE, and then SHOCK myself when a HORRIBLE and UNFRUITY taste hit my tastebuds. It tasted NOTHING like lemon, cherry or grape and I blamed it all on whatever minty medicinal elements they mixed in there.

Luckily I snapped out of this ridiculousness disdain for mint about a year or two ago, and have been exploring a liking towards the gentle peppermint. This is why I was looking forward to the Pfefferminz (Peppermint) bar.




Sweetness: 4.5 out of 5

The sweetness of the peppermint cream in the middle was exquisite, and the dark/slightly bitter chocolate complimented it ideally.


Texture: 5 out of 5

The texture is absolute perfection. The dark chocolate outside is the perfect thickness - and after biting into that thick shell with a superb little "crack", you find yourself in contact with the oh-so-creamy-smooth centre of peppermint heaven. It is a CROWNING MOMENT of CHOCOLATE BLISS.

Sorry, I believe I just drooled on my keyboard.


Devourability: 5 out of 5

This was almost an EXISTENTIAL dilemma for me: while I wanted to just cram these little gems of impeccable chocolateness into my fat mouth in one go, part of me wanted the experience to last as long as possible. I took frequent little nibbles of each piece, and it was an absolute delight to see the minty-cool cream oooooze out of each morsel.


Frequency: 4 out of 5

The only reason why I wouldn't eat the Peppermint Ritter Sport every day is because it is too special to be my "everyday" or "default" chocolate bar.

It deserves more than that. It is the chocolate you would make up little excuses for: "Oh! The sun is out in grey grey Hamburg! Let's have a Peppermint Ritter Sport!", "My boss didn't make 10,000 UNNECESSARY changes to the MOODBOARD... it's Peppermint Ritter Sport time!", "I had a nice healthy salad for lunch and deserve a Peppermint Ritter Sport!", etc. I can see myself getting this twice a week. If it's a good week, maybe three.


Overall: 18.5 out of 20



A utopic Yin Yang of Chocolate: the Peppermint Cream representing sweetness, cool and light, VS. the Dark Chocolate with its bitterness, warmth and darkness.

It is all about balance. A YUMMY balance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah this is one of my FAVES too i love the creamy SQVIRT-like feeling of the pfefferminz oozing into my goo-starved taste buds. although i'm just not a huge ritter sport enthusiast, (i prefer more ORGANIC, WORLD-CONSCIOUS chocolate.... *self-righteous sigh*) i find it TOLERABLE on occasion, this definitely being one of the flavors.

Anonymous said...

For some reason they don't sell this bar in the States, though I hear they might make it available around the Holidays this year. Here's hoping!