Thursday, April 17, 2008

8. Eierlikör (Special Spring Edition)


For some reason, this was the most evasive flavour of all. It was the only one missing from the Spring Edition trio (Marc de Champagne, Eierlikör and Ramazzotti) at the supermarket. We kept an eye open for it everywhere: at smaller grocery stores, some gas stations, kiosks, and nothing.

I had remembered seeing them at a particular gas station several weeks ago, but had avoided purchasing them because they were double the regular price - 1.45 euros... typical gas station inflation. I went again, but no, they were no longer in display at the counter. *gasp* The Ritter Sport Challenge is in danger!

But fret not, I was with my friend Talke - hoorah for native speakers - and she asked the shopkeeper, who proceeded to head to the back. Turns out they still had a few in stock, and the shopkeeper emerged from the darkness with the desired bar.

After that endeavor, the Eierlikör (Eggnog) Ritter Sport was just BEGGING to be flavour of the day.




Sweetness: 2 out of 5

It was on the sweet side of the Ritter Sport spectrum. I can probably count the number of times I have had eggnog my entire life with two fingers (MAX), so I wouldn't be a good judge of whether or not the filling tasted like authentic egg nog, especially the German kind. The alcoholic taste, however, was milder than the Marc de Champagne flavour, which made it less GAG-inducing to me.


Texture: 5 out of 5


The default milk chocolate, always delicious - and the filling was lush and smooth. I am not a fan of alcohol in chocolate, but the texture of this silky light yellow middle "saved" this chocolate for me.


Devourability: 1 out of 5

The creamy filling made me cram the chocolate into my mouth at quite a rapid pace, which is quite strange for me considering the liqueur/chocolate combo. But once I reached square 4, I realized that it was waaaay too sweet for the greedy speed I was stuffing my face with, and I had to stop and safeguard it in my office drawer.


Frequency: 0.5 out of 5


I wouldn't really buy it again though, especially with the extra effort that goes with finding it. I didn't HATE it (yes, "hate" is quite a strong word, 'innit?) as much as the Marc de Champagne, but it wasn't "THE" chocolate bar that would make me change my mind about alcohol-tainted candy. If someone offered me a little square though, I'd accept it politely and even enjoy it a tad.


Overall: 8.5 out of 20

For me, eggnog has always been associated with the Winter holiday season, which is why I thought it was strange that it was included in the Spring series. WELP, to each its own, I'm sure Germany has extremely valid reasons for why egg nog is a Spring flavour.



I am not sure if I truly enjoyed this flavour more than the Marc de Champagne, or if I am merely tolerating liqueur in chocolate more and more. I guess the Ramazzotti will be the ultimate test for my immature palette.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that round chocolate on the left in the "chocolate picture" at the top of the post looks more yummy than any of the rittersports.. why did they put that there? and OMGZ, i luvz T3H EGGNOG. but as a flavor? i've never found a good one either.