Tuesday, April 15, 2008

6. Marzipan


Today we decided to cheat a bit with our Ritter Sport Challenge, which I suppose is alright since we were the ones who made the rules after all. I had started to whine about how I wanted to try one of the more "exciting" flavours, and the über-benevolent Dan gave me the honour to choose. But out of 20+ chocolate bars? Being the overthinker that I am, it was obviously a difficult decision.

After some pacing back and forth, Marzipan - the delightful confection made out of sugar and almond - became the flavour of the day. *jitters!*



It had always intrigued me, because:
- I like marzipan (especially shaped in WHIMSICAL shapes or on top of princess cakes)
- I like chocolate.

But together??!!


Sweetness: 3.5 out of 5


The bitter dark chocolate is always a winner, especially when combined with a sweet filling. I think this is the first time I have ever had good quality marzipan, because this one actually had that special almond taste, and was not the sweet PLAY-DOH I'm used to eating.

I have always had an issue with the "almond taste" in general though, because even though I love chomping on the nut itself (as shown yesterday), I have never thought that the "almond taste" tastes almond-y at all.


Texture: 4.5 out of 5

The marzipan was a complex mixture of doughiness, cushiness, ever-so-slight chunkiness and overall scrumptiousness. This must be the "real marzipan" I have been missing out on my entire life. It was the perfect consistency to allow me to take little nibbles of each square while everything stayed in place.

What an obedient candy this turned out to be.


Devourability: 4 out of 5

As always, I finished my portion of the candy bar effortlessly. But the blending of these two tastes was so new to me... the taste of this marzipan alone was so unknown! I HAD to take a break in the middle and PONDER. I have always been an adventurous eater, how could such a novelty taste hit my tastebuds after 27 years? Even the way your mouth moves as you eat it - nibble, squush, squush. nibble, squush, squush - where have you been all my life?


Is this rant exaggerated? Maybe... maybe not.


Frequency: 3.5 out of 5


It was a mighty treat, but somehow it is still too new and foreign for me to enjoy it too regularly. I NEED TIME!


Overall: 15.5 out of 20

This was a succulent eye-opener. I am used to seeing chocolate a certain way, and marzipan another. Marzipan should only belong on fancy colourful cakes, and form little sculptures of sugary goodness, DAMMIT! Together, they taste good! But strange!

My universes are clashing!

The Marzipan Ritter Sport is still an enigma for me, and 8 little squares aren't enough for me to form a clear opinion on how I feel about it. It IS, however, definitely good enough for me to grab another one of those bright red packages and NIBBLE, SQUUSH, SQUUSH on.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm having the great pleasure of reading and commenting on the marzipan review biting my won little marzipan square that came out of the mini ritter's. i've only had two of the little four squares and it truely is a great pleasure. i can't get enough of the grainy marxipan texture fighting with the bitterness of the dark chocolate. the leftover marzipan round the gums is the best part of the overall experience. it makes so much sense. it gives you the taste of an all time favourite nut without hurting your teeth.

red is dangerous. and i'm lovin' it.

Anonymous said...

I come from a German upbringing, and marzipan was always a staple treat. Niederegger was of course the brand of choice in our household, and since you live in Germany now, you should definitely seek it out. They have a big store and cafe in Lübeck.

Incidentally, Niederegger makes most of their marzipan coated in chocolate, but you'll get used to it quickly, trust me, it's such a wonderful taste. Maybe you can start a new blog that documents your journey through Niederegger!

Unknown said...

You should def try Niederegger Marzipan.
I promise that you'll love it. (http://www.niederegger.de/en/shop/neu_bei_niederegger/index.php)

Oh, and I love your little drawing.
Reminds me of the Sistine Chapel in Rome, Missy Michelangelo.

Shelley said...

Thank you very much for the tip!

The Niederegger Marzipan looks amazing, and I will most definitely try it out. :p

Anonymous said...

i'm very uncomfortable with the name "Niederegger".. what exactly does that mean? what are you implying? is that a DARK chocolate? or, maybe we could say, it's a BLACK chocolate? hmmm?????

but as for marzipan, i do remember having this flavor too. and i thought that it was OK. i am a marzipan WHORE. i want LOADS of marzipan in my mouth ALL. THE. TIME. so marzipan in moderation just doesn't quite satisfy my marzipan craving.

*sad whore face*.

that being said, it is a good textured marzipan.

Anonymous said...

oh and P.S. why are you on a slice of PIE in your drawing? gaa? i mean, i know you were talking about princess cakes but you look like you're on pie.

*technical gaa*