Monday, April 14, 2008

5. Ganze Mandel (Whole Almonds)


What a happy day it was when my chubby little fingers drew out the Ganze Mandel (Whole Almonds) Ritter Sport from our treasured chocolate drawer. Although I've never had this particular Ritter Sport bar before, I could expect no surprises. How could you possibly go wrong with the quintessential almond-chocolate combination?



Sweetness: 4 out of 5

The milk chocolate was just the perfect amount of sweet, and complemented the mild saltiness of the almonds superbly.


Texture: 5 out of 5

Whole almonds send my chompers in a wild frenzy, and it is an absolute delight to take in a hefty bite of the nut and chocolate each time. It is almost like a Russian roulette, you can break off a piece and have almost an intact square of milk chocolate, or find yourself with a cluster of Californian almonds held together delicately by the chocolate. FAAAAAAANTASTICLY CRUNCH-able.


Devourability: 4.5 out of 5

While I tried to save a bit for after lunch, I couldn't bare it and scoffed my half-bar into my pie-hole in under 5 minutes. It was yummy, and even though it isn't a surprising taste, its familiarity made it even easier to devour.


Frequency: 4 out of 5

I can find the Ganze Mandel sneaking into my regular repertoire of chocolates. Safe, painless, and a nice little exercise for the good ol' jaw.


Overall: 17.5 out of 20

Without a doubt I like the Whole Almond bar a lot, but I will have to admit that being a "classic" also makes it one of the more boring flavours offered by Rittersport. Which is fine. Many times, you just need that little bit of sweet goodness with a hint of salt that will get you through the hunger pangs of the day. :)



A classic without the pretension, kind of like a childhood PAL.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whole almonds are boring! i couldn't eat it because it's not exotic enough. i need my palate to be tantilized with every bite. i like creme filled chocolates, hence my UNDYING lurve for creme de menthe.